This is a quick and easy dish that captures the essence of the meat-based original. In our home it is often made on the weekend for a few days of quick suppers or portable lunches.
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Large yellow onion (diced)
2 Medium carrots (sliced or diced)
3 Medium crimini mushrooms
2 Cups peas (thawed if frozen)
5 Large russet potatoes cut into large chunks
2 Tablespoons butter
1/4 Cup sour cream
1 Tablespoon dried sage (ground)
1 Teaspoon dried thyme
3 cloves of garlic (whole)
12-ounces Condensed cream of celery soup (we use Pacific Foods organic)
1/4 Cup milk
12-ounce Package of Morningstar “meal starter” crumbles
Salt & Pepper
- Boil water in a large pot and pre-heat the oven to 400ºF (200ºC)
- Add the olive oil to a large saucepan over medium heat. When the oil is heated add the diced onions and cook for a couple of minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the meal starter crumbles to the saucepan and stir them into the mix.
- Add the carrots and mushrooms and stir the mixture.
- Once the mixture is heated through add the condensed soup and milk and stir until combined.
- Add the sage and thyme and turn up heat to a simmer and thicken.
- While the mixture is cooking, add the cut potatoes and garlic cloves to the boiling water, and cook until potatoes are cooked.
- Drain the water from the potatoes and mash the potatoes slightly.
- Add the butter and sour cream to the potatoes and mix or mash until blended.
- Remove the “meat” and vegetable mixture from the heat and stir in the peas.
- Spread the mixture into a glass Pyrex dish.
- Spread the mashed potatoes over top of the “meat” and vegetable mixture until covered.
Place dish in oven and turn heat up to broil setting. Depending on your broiler’s power, leave in oven until potatoes on top are slightly browned, but not burnt!
Remove from oven and enjoy!