Scott Russell has been involved in home-brewing for over 30 years. From a chance experience with his first beer-making kit, Scott’s exploration of brewed beverages has led to roles as home-brew store manager, brew club organizer, author, and teacher. Join me for a chat with The Homebrew Guru himself as we discuss the creative aspects of making your own beer at home.
Resources discussed in this episode:
- VT Homebrew Guru – Scott’s website has helpful resources and home-brew recipes.
- Brew Your Own Magazine – The go-to monthly publication for the home-brew enthusiast, and publisher of Scott’s former column on cloning beer.
- North American Clone Brews, by Scott Russell – Brew your favorite commercial beer at home, or use the recipes as a foundation for experimenting.
- Seven Barrel Brewery Brewer’s Handbook, by Gregory J. Noonan, Mikel Redman, Scott Russell – Out of print, but available from used book sellers.
- Lebanon Brew Shop – Scott’s current post, and a regional supplier of home-brew equipment, ingredients, and instruction, serving the Upper Valley of New Hampshire and Vermont.
- Homebrew, Outreach and Preservation Society (H.O.P.S.) – An open home-brew club associated with the Lebanon Brew Shop.
- Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) – Information on becoming a certified beer judge, as well as style guides for dozens of different types of beer.